Portland Timbers 2, Los Angeles Football Club 1 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Portland scored first just after the break. Midfielder Diego Valeri struck a free kick from the top of the box through the LA wall that goalkeeper Tyler Miller saved, but could not clear from danger. Cristhian Paredes put away the rebound to celebrate his 20th birthday a day late -- with his first MLS goal.
The teams then traded a pair of highlight-reel goals.
- 52' – POR – Cristhian Paredes WATCH
- 74' – LAFC – Carlos Vela WATCH
- 81' – POR – Samuel Armenteros WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: With the victory, Portland continued their fine form, extending the winning streak to an MLS club-record five straight. They also remains unbeaten at home this season, now 4-0-0. For LAFC, despite seeing Vela score his team-high seventh goal on the year, the loss ends their six-game unbeaten run.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Armenteros's goal ... and his celebration:
- MAN OF THE MATCH: He may not show up on the boxscore today, but Diego Valeri played a big role in an aggressive Portland attack, leading his team with six shots as the Timbers' out-shot LAFC, 21-10, on the day.