Portland Timbers 2, Montreal Impact 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Portland tied up the game shortly before halftime through Samuel Armenteros, who capitalized on Evan Bush's mistake, as the goalkeeper dropped a ball right in front of the Swedish striker. But Matteo Mancosu covered for his teammate, scoring an immediate goal off a ball over the top to put the Impact ahead once more.
In the second half, the Timbers equalized again, with Diego Valeri pouncing on another mistake from Bush, who popped the ball up in the air on a cross, allowing the Portland talisman to head the ball in the net from two yards out.
- 23' – MTL – Saphir Taider | WATCH
- 39' – POR – Samuel Armenteros | WATCH
- 41' – MTL – Matteo Mancosu | WATCH
- 65' – POR – Diego Valeri | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Montreal earn their first draw of the season, but all things considered, Bush was culpable in both goals conceded and the Impact really ought to have won in this one. Full credit to Portland, for capitalizing on the mistakes to keep their unbeaten run going.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Valeri's goal to seal the tie wasn't exactly easy, but it was a game-changing play and the kind of goal you don't see very often.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: On another night, Montreal defender Rod Fanni might have helped his team earn a shutout on the road. As it was, the imposing centerback stymied Portland's attack, while his partner in the middle was replaced in the first half due to injury, and he had a crucial tackle to snuff out a second-half chance.